How To Use a Chromebook as a Kiosk
If you need a portable kiosk, a Chromebook is a great option. By simply turning kiosk mode on, you can use it as a guest registration desk, library catalog, and more. This is also a very affordable option if you need a simple, small screen kiosk.
Before you begin
Before you turn on kiosk mode, make sure you:
Note: If you're using your Chromebook at work or school and want to use it as a kiosk, ask your administrator to go to the Chrome admin panel and change your kiosk settings. If your device is from 2017 or later, it won't work in kiosk mode unless it's managed by an administrator.
Turn on kiosk mode
1. If you haven't yet, sign in to your Chromebook.
2. Open Chrome.
3. At the top right, click More (3 vertical dots).
4. Hover over More tools and click Extensions.
5. Turn on Developer mode in the top right corner.
6. In the Google Admin console to Devices. Then click Chrome Devices.
7. Change the dropdown to Apps & extensions.
8. Click Kiosks.
9. Hover over the yellow plus sign and add your kiosk app. You can add by ID, URL, or from the Chrome Web Store.
Next, open the kiosk app
1. In the corner of your screen, click the Launcher and then the Up arrow.
2. Find your kiosk app and click on it.
3. Follow the instructions in the app to set it up.
Turn off kiosk mode
1. Restart your Chromebook
2. While the device is starting up, press the Ctrl + Alt + S keys on your keyboard. Kiosk mode will turn off, and the regular sign-in screen will appear.
Note: this is only temporary. Once the device falls asleep or is powered down it will reboot into kiosk mode.
Chrome and Promevo
As a Google Premier Partner, Promevo takes a holistic approach to your Google life. From Chrome device solutions to Google Workspace management solutions—Promevo partners with you to ensure your success in your Google journey.
You can shop Chrome devices on our online store or get in contact with one of our sales reps if you have more questions! If you need additional support or training, we are here for you. All Promevo customers get free support from our Google certified specialists. You can search our Knowledge Base, talk to our support team, or even schedule free training.