How To Powerwash Your Chromebook
Before you begin
The Google account that signs into the Chromebook after powerwashing will be considered the new owner, so make sure you login with the appropriate account.
Whether it's due to a change in ownership of the device, or you just want your Chromebook to feel factory-fresh, one of the many great features of Chrome OS is the ability to powerwash it. Powerwashing is the same as a factory reset. All information and files are erased from the Chromebook's hard drive.
There are two ways to powerwash a Chromebook. The first way uses shortcut keys and the second way uses the Chrome OS Settings menu. Both methods achieve the same result so just choose the method that you are most comfortable with.
Powerwash Chromebook by using shortcut keys
1. Begin by signing out of your Chromebook.
2. Once you have signed out of your Chromebook, press and hold the Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys on your keyboard.
3. Select the Restart option.
4. A screen will appear asking you to confirm that you want to reset the device. Click Powerwash and Reset, then Continue.
5. Complete the on-screen prompts. After you finish all the prompts, you’ll be asked to sign in with your Google account. The Google account that signs into the Chromebook after powerwashing will be considered the new owner, so make sure you login with the appropriate account.
Powerwash Chromebook by using Chrome OS Settings menu
1. While signed into your Chromebook, click on the taskbar in the lower right hand corner. Click Settings.
2. From the settings pop-up window, scroll to the bottom until you see Advanced.
3. Click Reset settings.
4. Select the powerwash option within this category, followed by Restart.
5. Your Chromebook will reboot you will be prompted to complete a few more steps. After you finish all the on-screen prompts, you’ll be asked to sign in with your Google account. The Google account that signs into the Chromebook after powerwashing will be considered the new owner, so make sure you login with the appropriate account.
Powerwashing is a simple, effective way to revert your Chromebook to factory settings and prepare it for a new employee, kiosk, or whatever you might need it for.
Chrome and Promevo
As a Google Premier Partner, Promevo takes a holistic approach to your Google life. From Chrome device solutions to Google Workspace management solutions—Promevo partners with you to ensure your success in your Google journey.
You can shop Chrome devices on our online store or get in contact with one of our sales reps if you have more questions! If you need additional support or training, we are here for you. All Promevo customers get free support from our Google certified specialists. You can search our Knowledge Base, talk to our support team, or even schedule free training.