Chrome Sign Builder is a digital signage application that lets you schedule and display content across your managed Chrome devices. With Chrome Sign Builder, you can use Chrome devices, such as Chromeboxes or Chromebits, as digital media players.
Sign Builder lets you preview all the content that will show on your digital signs. While you can download and install the application on the Chromebox or Chromebit where you’ll use it, the process is simpler if you install it on a desktop computer. Note: In order to manage the sign builder, you must be a Super Admin in the Admin console.
Deploying Chrome Sign Builder is a 2-part process:
- Download Chrome Sign Builder from the Chrome Web Store and configure the schedule to display your content.
- Use the Admin console to enroll your devices in the appropriate organizational unit (OU), add Chrome Sign Builder as a managed app to the OU, and deploy it as a kiosk app.
If you haven’t already—create a schedule to display your digital sign, then complete the steps to deploy Chrome Sign Builder.
To deploy Chrome Sign Builder:
Enroll your device in an OU
- Enroll your Chrome devices.
- Sign in to the Admin console.
- Move the enrolled devices to the OU where you plan to configure Chrome Sign Builder to launch automatically. You may want to create an OU specifically for digital signage.
Add Chrome Sign Builder as a Managed app to OU
- Click Device management > Chrome management > App management and click on Chrome Sign Builder. If you don’t see Chrome Sign Builder in the list of apps, download it from the Chrome Web Store here.
- Choose Kiosk settings to deploy Sign Builder as a kiosk app.
- Select the OU where you want to deploy the sign builder.
- Turn on these settings:
- Install automatically–Installs this app automatically on kiosk devices.
- Allow app to manage power–Lets the app call the power APIs to modify the default operating system behavior. (You don’t want a kiosk screen to turn off if no one is using it.)
- Choose Upload Configuration File, navigate to the file that contains the schedule you created in the app, and select it.
- Click Save.
Deploy Chrome Sign Builder as a kiosk app
- Go to Device management > Chrome management > Device settings and scroll down to Kiosk Settings.
- In the Auto-Launch Kiosk App drop-down list, select Chrome Sign Builder. This makes the app launch automatically on the Chrome devices in the org unit you selected.
Once you have gone through these steps, you’ll need to power down your device and restart it. Once you power it back on, you’ll be able to use your Chrome devices as digital signs.